Sick, Sicker, Sickest

So far, April & May have been really hard months. At the beginning of April, I can’t remember if it was the sixth or the eighth, Monkey got sick. Like he went from healthy and happy to waking up coughing and panicking because he couldn’t breathe. We spent all night outside with him so the cold April air could shock his lungs back to breathing. He’d not really been sick before, not like this. And we had no idea how to handle it.

The barking cough subsided and was replaced by a running nose and a wet cough. Which lasted and lasted and lasted. Two weeks later, I decided to take him in to see a doctor. Brian took Eggs and I had Monkey, who sobbed into my shoulder as the doctor looked in his ears, listened to his chest, tapped on his tummy.

We left with a prescription for a puffer, a drug to open his lungs, and instructions to come back by Thursday.

Then that Tuesday, Eggs got it. It was hard to see in Monkey, but even harder in Eggs who just stared into my eyes as he coughed, begging me to make it stop. He started getting a fever and stopped wanting to eat (and if you’ve seen my baby, you’d know how much he likes to eat). It was heart-wrenching.

The next day, I caught it. My nose felt like a desert wasteland, my throat constantly burned, and my head felt so full that even the pressure of a pillow was awful.

Eggs was supposed to be vaccinated that week, but I put it off because of how sick we all were. Just a week, I thought. Thankfully, both Eggs and I mostly got over it. It looked like the three of us were on the upswing.The boys still coughed and my throat still ached, but at least the rest of it seemed to go away. They were eating again, which was the most reassuring.

Mother’s Day was at our house this year and Monkey was incredibly miserable all day. I couldn’t figure out what had gotten into him. He normally loved all the attention lavished on him by grandparents and great grandparents, but today he just cried and cried and cried.

I should have been empathetic, I mean, I’d just gotten over the same thing. I knew how he felt. But I was so mad. I’d planned this day, baked a couple of pies, cleaned up the house and it was all undone by a toddler. I knew I was being irrational, I knew I was being selfish, but I just thought today of all days? You have to be a jerk on Mother’s Day?? 

The next day was even worse. So I took him and his brother up to the doctor. I say up because I didn’t go to the doctor in the city we live. Instead I went back to the city we used to live in because 1. my city has one walk-in clinic for seventeen thousand people and 2. I was more comfortable in a clinic I’d been in several times before.

We drove the hour, with Monkey crying in his car seat the whole way, and got to the clinic where I unloaded my bag, Eggs, and Monkey. I’m so glad that the clinic wasn’t busy and sent us in right away. The doctor saw us and sent us out for an x-ray. So I loaded up the three of us, drove a couple blocks down, and got unloaded again.

By this point, Eggs was starving and Monkey needed a diaper change. Let me tell you, a diaper bag, a car seat, a toddler, and a mom do not fit in a handicap bathroom stall (where they keep the changing tables). Now Monkey was clean, but both boys wanted bottles. So we headed to the waiting room and I fed Eggs in his car seat and held Monkey while he drank. Eggs was so hungry that he finished his bottle and wanted another, which I heroically refilled one handed while I continued to hold Monkey. It was a sight to behold. I know that because the women across the waiting room were commenting on my lack of babysitting and shaking their heads at my poor planning.

The technician was significantly kinder, offering to take the car seat to the x-ray room while I took Monkey and my bag. Another tech took Eggs and carried him around while the other tech and I dealt with Monkey’s x-ray. We belted him into a clear case that looked like a primeval torture device to keep him still. He screamed as we took the pictures.

Afterwards, I loaded everyone up again. It had now been four hours and I was starving for some lunch. I grabbed a cheeseburger and called the doctor to see if I had to come back. No, she said. It takes a couple days for the images to arrive here. We will call you when you need to come back.  With that, we went home.

Turns out the receptionist I’d spoken to was half right. They would call when they needed me to come back, but it wasn’t a few days later. It was about five minutes after I unloaded the boys from the car and into the house. You need to come back to get your prescription, she said. Thankfully, my mother was still in that city running some errands so she picked it up. I don’t know if I could have handled another two hour drive with two sad boys.

Turned out that Monkey had pneumonia. We were tasked with administering some yellow syrup that smelled like those awful banana candies to Monkey three times a day for ten days. Not the easiest way to medicate a toddler, but we were just glad for some answers. Three days later, Monkey is feeling better. Eggs and I must have picked something up from one of the waiting rooms we were in as we are both sick as dogs yet again. I’m desperately hoping that Eggs stays away from the pneumonia and gets over it soon.

So, yeah, that’s why I haven’t been around much.

TD;LR – Been too busy tending to sick family to write anything useful here.


3 thoughts on “Sick, Sicker, Sickest

  1. I hope your household all gets better fast! Can’t imagine the exhaustion of being sick yourself and caring for the kids at the same time, as well as hosting Mother’s Day things. You are awesome hero momma 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s